Having been into blogging for quite a time now, I have been enjoying most writing about writing. It serves as a way to reflect upon my work and use it as a tool to help improvise.
The first and foremost thing that comes to my mind when I talk of writing is that the focus should not be on getting it right, rather it should be on getting it written. There is always scope to get it right later.
Procrastination is a trait we all live with, or rather we are born with. Keep that approach away from writing. However, if you are compelled by it and have as less as 3 days before you got to submit a paper, what do you do? Oh well, nothing, just start getting writing. There isn’t any time there.
1. To begin with, calm down and relax. There isn’t another way to get more organised. If you have already done the task of procrastination, there is a need to take eustress and not distress. Take the pressure as positive pressure and get into the mood. Eustress is good stress; convert your negative pressure into positive pressure. Soulful music or meditation could be helpful here.
2. Productive writing cannot be done without planning. That is imperative and we have been talking about it. Writing plans is something, we all are good at. Like the wise have said, well begun is half done. So planning is must.
3. The next task should be filling up the spaces. There may not be a standard rule to fill the gaps. Some prefer to begin with the introduction while some like to leave it for the end. I suggest, the beginning task should be the simplest for you. It only helps in building up confidence. I repeat again, leave the criticism for later and concentrate on the writing part. Step by step, complete the full paper.
4. Do not stop here, now that you would have followed by advice of focusing on writing and not on writing right. It is one job done. Now you got to make the writing right. Read your paper, not once but again and again, till the time you do not feel confident of your work. Rechecking your work saves you a lot of embarrassment at the end of the reviewers.
5. It wouldn’t get better, if you would get your work checked by your supervisor. If you have shortage of time, as you have delayed it may not be possible to get the feedback of the supervisor so quickly. Do ask for peer help if you feel the need.
6. Do live by the deadline
7. These is essential and NOT TO BE MISSED, treat, yourself for having made the accomplishment. You deserve it so celebrate the way you like.
Find here some amazing tips on how to become an organised writer. Use technology and improvise: